Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hobby Filters and Unlikely Ruins

I was out doing some work about the house the other day, and while I was getting some stuff ready for the bin, my hobby filter kicked in and brought a halt to the work while I scrutinised a piece of broken plastic. Mine is probably on any time I'm not asleep. You most likely have one too if you're reading this. That little voice in the back of your head that evaluates almost everything for hobby value. Allow me to elaborate.
  • You're walking along the beach and you notice some shells. You think: "They'd look great on the base of my daemon prince."
  • You're picking out tiles for a new bathroom and you pause and think: "I must hold onto the offcuts for smashing into nice basing material." (You can tell I like basing.)
  • You can never walk past a pet store in case they have some fish tank plants or decorations that can be used as scenery. 
  • Every plastic take out container is cleaned and pressed into service as a miniature box. 
  • You can't visit a hardware store without looking at glues, blue foam, cork sheeting and filler, but not for DIY. 
  • Every time you see a movie with knights/lasers/Roman soldiers you're looking at it in terms of a painting guide/next army inspiration. 
If you're with me still, you know the score. Anyhow, back to scrutinised broken plastic. I held this up for a good two or three minutes.


The more I stared, the more I could see, with a good mdf base, come cutting and a couple of little additions, I'd have me a pretty good ruined building. Extra floors could be added too. These plastic baskets are in almost every hardware store, and you could easily make 3 or 4 big ruins sections with them. You'd have that ruined cityscape up in no time.

7 comments:

  1. I have to say you nailed it perfectly sopt on, I checked the 6 points plus I couldn't help seeing a ruined building myself...
    Some things can't be stopped, boys will be boys I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moreover not just a ruined building but the mesh aspect of it lends itself to to in industrial look. Or perhaps a cryogenic storage grid Figures placed in rectangular blocks held in the meshing on rails with a scratch built selector arm/claw
    Just a few thoughts from a another with an overactive hobby filter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once saw a complete cityscape board built from smashed up milk crates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know I am not the only one who thinks this way! I have bins of bits and other "trash" squirreled away for making new models and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This amused me greatly, particularly the takeaway boxes part - I thought I was the only person that did that! I also hoard lids and small pots - these are perfect for mixing up washes or basecoated from! I have a drawer full on my nerd desk :) I

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. I still have 20+ yoghurt pots kept from when my sons were small I use to mount miniatures for painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easy 6 on those .Started infinity last year collected stuff for three months ,still building however it is a problem when because everything could be seen as alien terrain.

    ReplyDelete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...